I’m Shelby, and I am a newly licensed foster mom as of June 2020! In 2017, I was also diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called Myasthenia gravis, characterized by muscle weakness in the voluntary muscles in the body (but more on that in my later posts).
My husband, Preston, and I have been through so much and have such a unique set of circumstances between my illness and our choice to become foster parents so young. So, I decided to create a blog to share our experiences, from my chronic disease to the foster care system, and everything in-between!
From the blog
- From 2 to 4 … to 6?In May of 2020, Preston and I wanted nothing more than a little one running around our house. When we got licensed in June of 2020, we were given a capacity of two, meaning we could accept up to two foster children at a time. A year and a half later, our house is swarming… Continue reading From 2 to 4 … to 6?
- What Mother’s Day Means to MeMother’s Day has always been really special to me, because my mom and grandma are two of favorite people in the whole world. I love having the chance to celebrate them at least one a year. But in 2019, Mother’s Day became different. I had experienced a miscarriage, with two following shortly after. I DREADED… Continue reading What Mother’s Day Means to Me
- Time to be BackHello friends! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted. Life has been crazy in the best way. Let me catch you up. My side biz as a Pruvit promoter has skyrocketed and I have a growing team that I LOVE! We have two foster (soon-to-be-adopted) siblings, ages 5 and 6. Preston and I are… Continue reading Time to be Back
- Why Social Media is a Huge Part of My LifeA lot of people don’t understand why I choose to post my everyday life on social media. They don’t understand why I share about the good and bad – why I don’t just keep that to myself. I first started posting regularly about my life in 2017, when I was first diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis.… Continue reading Why Social Media is a Huge Part of My Life
- My Mental Health Roller CoasterAs you can imagine, my mental health is something I battle during my flares of Myasthenia gravis. But my anxiety and depression started way before then. I was always the worrier in my family. Some days, worrying was all I could do. I grew up in an amazing home with loving parents where I could… Continue reading My Mental Health Roller Coaster
New posts in your inbox
I’m so excited about this blog! These last few years have been so hard for me, and it’s time that something helpful and beautiful comes out of it; thus, Chronically Caring. Right as I was graduating college, starting my career, and learning who I was, I had to let go of the life I was used to and learn how to cope with being chronically ill. This blog is about many things: becoming a foster mom, having a chronic disease, and my passion for self care and exogenous ketones. Enjoy!