I’m Shelby, and I am a newly licensed foster mom as of June 2020! In 2017, I was also diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called Myasthenia gravis, characterized by muscle weakness in the voluntary muscles in the body (but more on that in my later posts).
My husband, Preston, and I have been through so much and have such a unique set of circumstances between my illness and our choice to become foster parents so young. So, I decided to create a blog to share our experiences, from my chronic disease to the foster care system, and everything in-between!
From the blog
- Why Social Media is a Huge Part of My LifeA lot of people don’t understand why I choose to post my everyday life on social media. They don’t understand why I share about the good and bad – why I don’t just keep that to myself. I first started posting regularly about my life in 2017, when I was first diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis.… Continue reading Why Social Media is a Huge Part of My Life
- My Mental Health Roller CoasterAs you can imagine, my mental health is something I battle during my flares of Myasthenia gravis. But my anxiety and depression started way before then. I was always the worrier in my family. Some days, worrying was all I could do. I grew up in an amazing home with loving parents where I could… Continue reading My Mental Health Roller Coaster
- Our First Foster Care Placement CallHello, all! Welcome back for another blog post. I know it’s been a while, but if you follow me on social media, you’ll understand why…. WE GOT OUR FIRST FOSTER PLACEMENT! So, I wanted to dive in and tell you about our first call, how and when it happened, how we felt, and where we… Continue reading Our First Foster Care Placement Call
- Advice for Someone Who is Considering Fostering/AdoptionI wanted to do this post because I think it’s really important to take some steps before deciding to become a foster or adoptive parent. First, you really have to be on the same page with your spouse or significant other (if you have one) or with immediate family members in your home (like other… Continue reading Advice for Someone Who is Considering Fostering/Adoption
- My Treatment JourneyBecause this month is Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month, and it marks three years since I was diagnosed, I thought it would be fitting to go through my treatment journey this far. In June 2017, when I was first diagnosed, my neurologist put me on a pretty standard treatment for Myasthenia, including pyridostigmine (AKA mestinon), prednisone,… Continue reading My Treatment Journey
New posts in your inbox
I’m so excited about this blog! These last few years have been so hard for me, and it’s time that something helpful and beautiful comes out of it; thus, Chronically Caring. Right as I was graduating college, starting my career, and learning who I was, I had to let go of the life I was used to and learn how to cope with being chronically ill. This blog is about many things: becoming a foster mom, having a chronic disease, and my passion for self care and exogenous ketones. Enjoy!